Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, we've got answers.  Whether you want to know who can study abroad, how to pay your bill, or where you can get a passport, you'll find the answers you need here.

Don't see what you're looking for?  Stop by the office, give us a call at 412-648-7413, or send us an email to

When do I need to start planning my trip?

We recommend that you begin planning your study abroad experience no later than one full academic term prior to your anticipated departure.  Ideally, you will begin planning to study abroad during your first year.  The earlier you start, the easier it is to find courses to fit your academic plans. You can best prepare by researching our programs to find the right choice for you, talking to our peer advisors and program managers and meeting with your academic advisors.

Which is the best semester to study abroad? When do most students go abroad?

While most students study abroad the spring semester of their junior year, you can do so any time after you have completed 24 credits on a Pitt campus. We believe the best time for you to study abroad is whenever you feel ready, whether that be academically, financially, or mentally ready.

When are application deadlines?

Application Deadlines for the 2018-2019 Academic Year are:

Sunday, October 7

Spring Break
Sunday, November 4**

Sunday, January 20

Fall and Full Year
Sunday, March 24

Pitt Study Abroad applications are now paperless, so you'll be able to access your application until 11:59 PM on the application date.

Please note that individual programs may have deadlines that are early from those listed above, so be sure to double check with your Program Manager or Advisor if you have any questions.




What are the minimum requirements to study abroad?

To be eligible to study abroad, you must have:

  • Completed 24 credits on a Pitt campus
  • A minimum GPA of 2.75 (2.5 for Engineering Students)*
  • A Clear Disciplinary Record

*Certain programs may have higher GPA requirements.

Please note that our program managers and advisors consider your application as a whole and decisions are made based on a combination of factors, including responses to essays, academic history and GPA, and disciplinary record.  Meeting the minimum requirements of a program does not guarantee acceptance. 

Your academic record is automatically pulled into your application when you create one.  To learn more about how we use this information, visit our Academic Review Transparency page.

I have a disciplinary record on campus – can I still go abroad?

Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis after meeting with the Study Abroad Disciplinary Committee.  Contact your study abroad advisor for more information.

What are the different types of programs?

We have five different types of programs that we offer, and each one is a bit different.

Panther Programs: developed and run by Pitt Study Abroad in connection with Pitt faculty.  Grades factor into your GPA and you are billed by Pitt.

Study Away: Panther Programs that take place within the US or Canada

Partner Programs: overseas partners.  Like Panther Programs without Pitt Faculty.  Grades factor into your GPA and you are billed by Pitt.

Exchange Programs: one to one relationships with overseas partners.  Tuition is billed by Pitt, housing in on your own.  Grades do not factor into your GPA.

Pitt-Recognized Programs: approved programs from other organizations.  Pay your host organization directly.  Grades do not factor into your GPA.

More information is here.

I started an application – how do I access it?

Click “Login” in the menu bar above to be taken to your study abroad application.

I’m a Pitt Business student – can I study abroad?

Yes! In fact, many of our programs offer business courses approved by Pitt Business to count toward degree requirements, and also offer internship opportunities tailored for business students. Pitt Business houses an International Programs Office that provides advising and program management services for Pitt Business students.  Please stop by 2600 Sennott Square or contact their office at 412-383-7489 or

I’m a Swanson School of Engineering student – can I study abroad?

Yes! In fact, many of our programs offer engineering courses approved by Pitt Engineering to count toward degree requirements for engineering students. Swanson houses an Engineering International Programs Office that offers advising and program management services for engineering students.  Please stop by 152 Benedum Hall or contact their office at 412-624-9823

I’m in the School of Health and Rehab sciences – can I study abroad?

Yes!  We offer study abroad programs specifically designed for you, and you can also attend any of our other programs.  We recommend you meet with your academic advisor as early as possible since they can help you choose the right program and the best time for you to go abroad.